1. Careers
Yesterday, I mentioned the importance of playing live to getting your music to the right audience, and when you're just getting started, booking your own gigs will probably be the way you have to go. But once you have built up an audience for yourself and started getting some attention, it may be time to try and get an agent on board. A music agent can help you take things to the next level, by getting you into venues and onto bills that you may have a hard time getting on yourself. Like most things in the music industry, the best time to start working with an agent is when you have some kind of "story" to tell about your band - when you have some good reviews in the press, an album or single in the works, and when you can consistently attract crowds to the shows you book yourself.

To find out more about exactly what an agent does, or to investigate how you can become a music agent yourself, check out this career profile to help you get a handle on the basics.
Comments
April 11, 2007 at 9:44 pm
(1) C.R.I.$.I.$. says:

Hi Heather,

I really enjoy the articles that you send me. I then forward them to my manager so, I hope my career will be well managed. Lol

I just finished working on an 18 track LP. You can hear some of the music on:

Best Regards,

C.R.I.$.I.$. (Rapper/Producer)

April 11, 2007 at 9:51 pm
(2) C.R.I.$.I.$. says:

NEEDED URGENTLY!!!

An agent that know’s what he’s doing. One who is as determined as the team he’s working with.

To listen to music, click on picture below:

I am new in the U.K. but very popular in my country, Zambia. I am the first artist to release a Hip-Hop album in that country.

April 12, 2007 at 10:26 am
(3) musicians says:

Hi Debb – Have you checked out our “How To Send your Demo to Record Labels” article? There is a link to it on the side menu of the main page of the site, under “essentials.” As for sending out MP3 files – that can be ok, as long as you have made contact with someone at the label who has give you the thumbs up for sending them. Otherwise, people are likely to be wary of opening attachments from people they don’t know. If you are approaching labels cold, a demo cd in the mail is a better way to go.
Feel free to write in again and ask more questions if this doesn’t help!

December 31, 2008 at 4:42 pm
(4) Issac Blakk says:

Well im out of Dallas,Tx looking for an agent…To check out one of my singles go to my myspace.com/issacblakk the song is called “I likes”

January 13, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(5) Jason says:

i am already half famous caus hollywood called me and asked me to perform and they asked did i have a manager and i said no and they said i need one please send me if you ARE A MANAGER PLEASE!!!!!

April 7, 2009 at 2:23 pm
(6) Arioso Legato says:

I am a music producer. I am in need of a music business agent. I produce R&B, HipHop, and Reggae Dancehall. I don’t have the time shop my own music but with an agent i know big things will happen. Contact me if you are interested.

July 21, 2009 at 3:15 am
(7) kali says:

i need an agent i am a young singer trying to get more into the carrer of singing!! how do i get an agent?

August 23, 2009 at 8:05 am
(8) lindsey says:

I need an agent. I sing country music and already have a demo. Where do I find someone who will really represent me the way it is needed?

November 16, 2009 at 8:14 am
(9) nikki says:

i’m a young singer i dont have a demo and want to know how to get started I’ve been wrighting my own songs my friends support my idea for a singing carrier how can i get started

January 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm
(10) Jessica says:

Well hi i want to be a singer i talk to my parents to get an agent but they dont know how and they only speack spanish and a little english and i relly want one sence i was 8 years old i am still young and in my dreams like every single time in my dreams i wasy see myself singing and makeing up song i mosly do search thing in the web like how to sing and how to get and agent an all that things i just relly want this becuse i am relly shy and i want to show my parents that i’m not so can any one help me t get an agent

June 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm
(11) Terry Burgess says:

I am ready for fame i think no i know i have a great voice and i come from fame my uncle mbeezy and his good friend tpain

August 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm
(12) rudegirls says:

we are the rudegirls we have been preforming we pretty hot are fans loves us.we are young and talented.we are looking for an agent you can also check us out on you tube rudegirls1000

September 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm
(13) Trey says:

i need a band and a music agent because im having a dance at school but i need to be famous so i can perform im ten and ive been singing since i was two please tell me how

December 19, 2011 at 11:32 am
(14) dale vargas says:

I am a professional musician looking for an agent and I’m looking for work in the Chicagoland, surrounding suburbs and especially the southwest suburbs in Illinois. If you want to hear a sample of my original music go to http://www.myspace.com/dalevargas. Besides originals, I also play a variety of music from jazz, R & B, light rock, classic rock, latin music and Motown. I perform a solo act with guitar including vocals with rhythm/cd backtracks. Feel free to call 773-934-7387.

February 16, 2014 at 4:01 pm
(15) Austin Wagoner says:

I want to be a famous rapper to get money and donate it to cancer funds and to the poor

February 16, 2014 at 4:03 pm
(16) Austin Wagoner says:

I need an agent I got a girl as young as me and we are looking for a agent to become famous I want to help her dream come true