You've made all of the usual resolutions - save money, eat better, exercise more - but what about your music career New Year resolutions? This can be a great time of year to give your music career a kick in the pants and renew your commitment to your goals. With a little bit of planning, your music career resolutions could be the only resolutions you actually end up keeping.
What kind of resolutions should you be making? The answer depends on your personal music career goals. Figure out where you want to be this time next year, and then use these tools to help you get there:
Whether you need to find some people to play with or you're on the hunt for a record deal, make this year the time it happens for you. Need some ideas to get started? These guides will help you take the first step:
- How to Send Your Demo to a Record Label
- Demo Dos
- Demo Don'ts
- Find Musicians for Your Band
- Band Member Contracts
- Can I Use a Cover Song on My Demo?
If no one knows the name of your band or label at the start of the year, make sure everyone is talking about you by the end. Generate a little buzz about your music project this year with a little self promotion:
- How to Self Promote Your Music
- Promo Emails for Bands
- Album Press Release Template
- Tour Press Release Template
- When to Send a Press Release
- Band Photos: Color or Black and White?
- Reverb Nation
- Use a Blog for Music Promotion
- Use Twitter for Music Promotion
- Radio Basics
Tired of all of your music relationships ending in heartache and despair? Protect your friendships and your interests by getting it all down on paper and educating yourself about your rights:
- Do I Need a Contract?
- Does My Label Owe Me Money
- Indie Label Contracts
- Who Pays Mechanical Royalties?
- Licening or Distribution?
- Music Promoter Contracts
- Manager Contracts
- What Happens if the Band Breaks Up?
Put on a Show:
If you want fans, you have to play live. Make this the year you take to the stage in a serious way:
- Booking Gigs - Step by Step Guide for Bands
- Become the Opening Band
- How Much Should the Opener Maker?
- Door Split Deals
- Should I Pay to Play a Gig?
- Who Pays for Gig Promotion Costs?
- Concert Promotion Costs
- How to Book a Venue
- Five Things Not to Do When Your Band Plays Live
Find Your Perfect Music Career
Just because you can't carry a tune doesn't mean you have to stay out of the game. There are tons of music career options for the motivated music lover. Get off the bench this year and find out which music career is right for you:
- Artist Manager Career Profile
- Promoter Career Profile
- Agent Career Profile
- Radio PR Career Profile
- Cover Art Designer Career Profile
- Music Journalist Career Profile
- Producer Career Profile
- Music Teacher Career Profile
- Music Industry Job Pros and Cons
Fund Your Music Career
One of the toughest things about getting start in the music biz - and staying in the music biz - is managing your finances. There is help out there, however. Find out how to uncover your music biz pot of gold: