Your Name/Name You Work Under
Your Website/Social Networking Profiles
What Genre of Music Do You Work With?
Pop, Rock, Country, Folk, Reggae, Zydeco, Polka, Other
How Can People Contact You For Work?
How Did You Get Started as a Producer?
Recording various bands I played in. That led to producing for my friends and other local and regional artists.
How Can Musicians Help You Do Your Job Better?
Be well-rehearsed and have a definite agreed-upon plan for what you want to carry away from the studio. If you are part of a group, elect one member that will be the main contact with the producer. Other members can voice their views, but select someone you trust, as he or she will have veto power to use in case of artistic differences. Come well-rested and bring some food to nibble on. Realize that like rehearsing, recording is work - however it can be as fun and magical experience as you want to make it.
- Listen to a lot of music - closely - and isolate what you like about it.
- Watch the volume to protect your ears.
- Listen to what the artist wants and is trying to do. Help him or her to achieve that. If you don't have a clear idea of the artist's goal (or don't have a better one they can agree with) don't proceed. Ask more questions, instead.
- Do speak your mind when something is not working for you. Just be tactful about it.
- Rest your ears frequently, particularly in a long or late session.
- Remember you are handling the magic that is music. Make sure it IS magic.