There have never been more tools available to musicians who want to self release their music, but even though the framework is in place, do you want to take on all the work? In other words, if you could wave a wand and create your perfect situation, would a fair deal with a label be part of the picture, or would you be master of your musical empire? Share your thoughts about record deals and why you'd like to land one or why labels don't stand a chance with you.
Note: This form is NOT for soliciting record deals. Please use this form to discuss your opinion on signing a deal versus self-releasing.
- Does anyone know how to share music with a producer? I have a mp3 file and I can send it to the producer. Music style: pop/house send me an e-mail and I'll send it to OrvilleVroemen@Gmail.com THANK YOU
- —Guest Orville
Needing a label?
- I play keys - have done professionally for about five years now. In that time, I've had a few very official gigs, sponsored by big names (festivals and session keys with bands) and I've done a lot of solo work (parties, concerts, composition etc). Here's what I've learned: When something is officially sponsored, or there's a label behind it, things go smoothly, you get paid, there's a certain amount of perceived legitimacy. People think because you've played at a casino or have been signed (or courted) by a label, that you're somehow more successful. The truth is, though, I have never been more excited and fulfilled as when I'm playing everything I've got, with shivers down my spine as I accompany someone at a concert I've put together, or collaborate with like-minded people. Shared aesthetics satisfy me much more than labels. Plus, it's only the one in a million that gets a lucky start. I'd rather love my music and succeed or fail on my own merit. email@example.com
- —Guest Ben
I NEED TO GET FAMOUS, RECORD
- hey im Mackeey and im 15 years old. i started to sing ever since i was 5, and i have a great voice. im confident and i have an attractive face :) and im very outgoing. my dream is to become a singer, and im not giving up no matter what. help me out or see me on the bigscreen soon :) if you want to hel add me on facebook : mackeey hashemi, inbox me what ur about and ill accept !!
- —Guest Mackeey Hashemi
- I don't think I need a record deal. I've got a project and I'm planning on using the tools that the internet offers nowadays to launch it. I'm confident that with the right on line marketing strategy, a good recording, good music, a few good contacts and a bit of luck, I can make a career out it. Almost no label is willing to invest in new acts unless they are totally risk-free, and that means they already have a fan-base, an audience, a target. So once you get to the point that you already have something going, they smell the money and give you a deal... I'd only accept one that leaves me total freedom. I'd like to have one so that I wouldn't have to worry about promotion, distribution or booking dates... only about playing. But if even the smallest amouont of artistic freedom is to be sacrificed, I'm not willing to compromise. That's my take on the matter.
- —Guest D
what music is to me
- the reason i want a record deal isnt for the money, im verry happy with the way i live. i cant stand going a day with a sore throat cos i cant sing, and if i cant sing i listen. if i could i would sing till the verry end i know im not the best singer in the world but its what i love doing, i get embarresed when i sing infrount of people and i want that to change im 16 in 2 month and all i can think about is how am i going to become a singer, i dont want to go looking for a deal because it will tear me in half if i couldnt make it. i constantly have my headphones in and im constantly singing or humming. i dream about singing for a living and that way i could help more people and charities of evory kind out whats going write and wrong about what im doing. i would also like to make music that people relate to from life situation and i know im 16 nearly and havent got the best experiances from life yet but i would put my heartand soal into everything i write and evory performance i give it
- —Guest leah
All alone on your own
- It's though road and there are people who tell you they wanna make it easier for you, bu is that just another white color lie? Is that just another Corporation trying to take what's rightfully yours? The answer is no. It's a stupid accusation to think they get more than they deserve. I say this as a musician and one who thought way different before attempting to do it all on his own I tell you they take what they deserve. It's simple just like tipping they jockey or maids they are. Just there take make your life easier.
- —Guest Somebody
Official flow records
- Soon or later u will all get a record deal. Some of are wayyy to young to handle much of a work. but the point is u just gotta wait and dont give up.
- —Guest Official Flow Records
ITS MY TIME TO SHINE!
- I BEEN IN SINGING MINISTRY FOR OVER 22 YEARS I UNDERSTAND THE PLACE OF PRAISE AND WORSHIP ,THAT PLACE IS WHERE YOU MET GOD BY SINGING IN THE FLOW OF THE SPIRIT. I DO BELIEVE THAT WHEN ITS MY TIME TO GET AND RECORD DEAL AND WHEN IT IS MY TIME TO COME FORTH GOD WILL MAKE PROVISION FOR ME. I M JUST WAITING ON SOME MUSIC DIRECTOR , TO HEAR IT AND TO SEE IT! THAT IT IS MY TIME REMEBER IF GOD HAS CALLED YOU TO SING DONT SETTLED FOR ANYTHING.JUST WAIT ON GOD.
- —Guest MRS.GAMBLE
Looking for a place to show my lyrics
- I really just want to submit some of my 60ish songs i have written, to see if they have any potential at all.
- —Guest Chris
Son is ready, he's top artits at Berklee
- My son attends Berklee School of Music, Boston, MA, it's his 2nd year he has been approached by several indie lables, even famous ones but they still want money up front to produce album, he sings from his passion for music not to be taken advantage of u can go on facebook David M. Wyatt or www.Berkleeschoolofmusic.com and look up look up one of his gospel concerts or music concerts he is the no. 1 singer on campus.He is on Alumni with Quincy Jones and other famous artist He needs an Angel investor or famous artist that just want to help along a new artist. It is said by a wise man a person that gives there world gets larger and larger, a person that dont give their world gets stingy and stinger. I'm his step-dad good luck to all those musician and artist that want to pursue performing arts, I sung years ago did back with Mister Mister they were nominate for the song we did gor a Grammy didnt win but was nominate. it was fun.
dont have enough money
- me and my friend have been trying to get our music out there for the longest but we have never had enough money to do it. But we still keep going no matter what it takes hopefully we will get were we want to be soon. It is what it is until you do something about it.
- —Guest chelsea plowden
Deal or no deal
- Yea, i think it is the Question that drives me... Matrix. I believe at the end of the day music is about moving people. Using a company or not, if its good it will get there. With or without them. Tell Opra I say hey!
- —Guest Etienne Steyn
dont have one
- most people who try to get a record deal go for it because they dont like the way their life looks right now, and they want to change it completely. others may go for it so that they can get themselves and their families out of poverty, which are both excellent reasons. but im a little different. the reason i want a record deal is because i grew up with music, i like all kinds, japanese rock, hard metal, R&B, rap, all of it, but my specified area is to sing R&B and soul. i want it because i feel confident in my voice, i sing in public and ive seen people run around a corner expecting to see someone important, and they see me standing there and are like 'good job kid, keep at it'. every time that happens, i get a new boost of courage, and travel towards my dream. my family isnt rich, living off of minimum wage, but life for me is good, i just want to express my voice so that people can recognize my talent across the country. i didnt plan on writing a full on essay but these are mythougt
- —Guest Street
MY PASION MY MUSIC
- MY NAME IS SADE BUT MY RAP NAME OR SINGING NAME IS PRECIOUS AND I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO ALL THE PRODUCERS I HAVE ONE BROTHER TWO UNCLES AND I REALLY WANT U TO HEAR THEM AND ALSO CAN RAP MY BRO 16 MY UNCEL 19 AND MY PTHER UNCEL 23 AND AM 13 SO PLEASE ANYONE GIVE ME A CALL BECAUSE WE ARE REALLY GOOD WE HAVE GON TO THE STUDIO THEY THINK WERE GOOD SO ANY PRODUCER PLEASE LISTEN TO OUR MUSIC 8042475384 PLEASE WERE GOOD THANK YOU SO MUCH ! OR EMAIL ME
- —Guest PRECIOUS
record label any ideas where?
- two 14 1/2 year olds play guitar, piano, and violin, sing, and write there own songs have wrote about 100 songs, anybody have any places or ideas for kids to get signed????
- —Guest blankie and stef